1. Lizzie McGuire hints at eating disorders.
[ ADVERTISEMENT ]
2. Saved By The Bell and caffiene addiction through pills..
3. Full House and their round about way to speak about parental physical abuse.
4. Boy Meets World and physical abuse.
5. Full House and body image issues leading to eating disorders.
6. Boy Meets World hits the nail hard on grief and how it effects you.
7. Glee steps up and speaks about death.
8. Home Improvement's spotlight on existential crisis, I think it's something every kid goes through too.
9. Glee and their school lockdown highlights so many real school shooting fears.
10. Full House and how they incorporated the dangers of drunk driving.
11. Boy Meets World hit two for one, cults and their manipulation and toxic masculinity.
12. Hey Arnold hit you in your feels about segregation and being seperated from your child. Never giving up.
13. Family Matters speaks out about racism.
14. Fresh Prince of Bel Air gives the perfect example of gun violence and how fear can institute bad decision making.
15. Smart Guy and pedophiles, how easy it is to become a target.
16. That's So Raven highlighted the realness of racisim and gave an example of how it still exists today.
I gotta say, I watched all of these shows as a kid and there are a few I can remember full grasping the why's on them, but definitely not all of them. As a mom myself now, especially of two bi-racial boys, these fears are very much still prominent and are things I think about every single day. And I know as they grow up it'll only become more intense. We gotta look out for each other folks. We gotta band together as one. It's the only way we can't be broken.
If you can think of anymore to add, please let us know in the comments! In the mean time, please please PLEASE be aware of your surroundings and make it your mission to notice things when they're most certainly not alright and never be afraid to stand up for someone else. You may be the only one that does. <3