1. Pons Fabricius in Rome: the OG bridge, still rocking its original form since 23 BCE.
[ ADVERTISEMENT ]
2. Terracotta Warriors preserved in their authentic paint colors
3. The Lycurgus Cup- the singular, intact instance of ancient glass that changes color
4. One of the only two remaining well-preserved Jolly Roger pirate flags in existence.
5. The "Iron Man" Buddha - the sole sculpture crafted from a meteorite
6. The sole existing handwritten text attributed to a Roman Emperor, specifically Theodosius II.
7. The Goujian Sword was found in remarkably pristine condition, maintaining its sharp edges, despite being over 2,500 years old.
8. The Barber Cup and Crawford Cup are the sole existing instances of ancient Roman vessels meticulously carved out of fluorite.
9. The singular, invaluable artwork that is the sole existing color photograph of the legendary "Amber Room" belonging to the Russian Czar, which was plundered by the Nazis during World War II. This irreplaceable masterpiece was seemingly lost forever, though there remains a glimmer of hope, in St. Petersburg in 1943.
10. A rare find, just three fragments of papyrus exist, and they are all inscribed in the Phoenician language.
11. An undamaged vessel containing wine from the Roman era dating back to 325 AD.
12. This unique rock crystal and silver spoon from the Julio-Claudian era is the sole known specimen of its kind in existence.
13. The Sole Existing Instance of an Iconic Roman "Scutum" Shield
14. The sole existing natural copper fossil of a scorpion.
15. Armor for Crocodiles from Ancient Roman-Egyptian Times
16. A coin from the Roman usurper Silbannacus, one of only two known to exist, shedding light on a historical figure who would have remained obscure otherwise.
17. A unique remnant of a crest found on a Roman centurion's helmet, the sole surviving specimen of its kind.
18. The Vergilius Augustus, one of just two ancient manuscripts that were meticulously inscribed using Roman square capitals, has endured to this day.
19. The initial fully preserved ballista arrow has been unearthed in Utrecht (formerly known as Augusta Treverorum), Netherlands for the first time.
20. The sole preserved bronze lantern from ancient Rome displayed alongside a replica, can be found at the Museo Archeologico Girolamo Rossi in Ventimiglia, Italy.
21. "Marcus Caelius' Gravestone, the Sole Existing Instance of a Direct Mention of the Varus Catastrophe, During Which an Ambush Led to the Loss of 20,000 Soldiers."
22. The sole instance in which a massive column was set up and embellished with a statue that wasn't of an emperor occurred during the early 2nd century with the gilded bronze sculpture of an "Emona Citizen." This remarkable artwork is currently displayed in the Roman Lapidarium at the National Museum of Slovenia
23. A 1961 photo depicts a unique screw press found in Herculaneum's Workshop of Lanarius, the only item discovered there alongside the Bourbon Tunnels. No other similar presses have been found.
24. The Sole Existing Instance of Ancient Roman "Cestus" Boxing Gloves
25. The earliest instance of a genuine "book," crafted in a completely distinctive fashion.
26. The Misenum Statue is the sole surviving bronze imperial image altered by condemnation, where Domitian's face was replaced with Nerva's.
So, whether you're a collector or just someone who likes fascinating things from history, r/UniqueArtifacts is a great place to check out. Shows us how amazing human history is and the incredible things people have made throughout the years.
Don't hesitate to explore it and discover some fantastic pieces of our past.