1. Friend Received This Passed Down From His Great Great Grandfather. It’s Believed To Be From Persia & About 2,000 Years Old
[ ADVERTISEMENT ]
2. This Thing That My Friend Found In The Water
3. Found In My Backyard In East Nashville, Tn
4. What Is This Thing? Hanging Over Sink In A House Built In The Late 1800s
5. Witt: Silver-Handled Vintage/Antique Clamp Of Some Kind. "Beak" Of Clamp Is Hollow - So Not Umbilical. Clamp Does Not Open Wide Because. US Quarter For Scale
6. I Think Brass Man, Head Comes Off And Backpack Opens
7. A Scissors Like Device I Bought Years Ago On Flee Market
8. My Grandfather Told Us To Not Remove This When Renovating
9. Strange Object From Tiffany's Mysteriously Given To My Wife By Her Grandmother While Refusing To Say What It Was. Probably Bought In The 1930s Or 1940s. About 10cm/4" Long. All She'd Say Was "She Used It As A Young Woman But Didn't Have Much Use For It Nowadays". Any Ideas?
10. Help Identify What These Are And What They Were Used For? Passed Down By Family - UK
11. Found At A Used Book Store. All Parts Rotate And The Markings/Months Makes Me Think It Could Be For Mapping?
12. Found In A Garden Back In 1959, Still Haven't Been Able To Identify What It Is
13. Found Metal Detecting Outside Of An Old Church
14. Driftwood With Metal Plaque Found On The Mississippi River Bank
15. Landlord Found It In The Basement. Heavy Metal. Google Isn't Responding Well To "Scary Wand" Or "Aggressive Pleasure Instrument"
16. Found In The Woods Near The Water’s Edge At My Home In Maryland On The Chesapeake Bay, The Site Of A Shipyard From 1750-1800. The Property Has Documented History Back To 1650’s. It Has Raised Decorative Images On Both Sides And Is Made Of Metal. 1 Image Also Shows A 1906 Indian Head Penny For Scale
17. What Is This Red Leather Devil Figure, Found In A Wooden Box In An Attic?
18. Carved Piece Purchased From An Antique Shop In Poland. What Is It And What Could It Be Carved Out Of?
19. Metal And Glass Locket With Writing
20. Found At An Antique Market In Wisconsin USA. About 6" Across The Top, The Hole Is About 3.5". Tiny Spittoon?!
21. I Found This Under The Floor Boards In A 1800's Era House
22. I Was Given This. I Have No Idea What It Is. Metal Square Box
23. Found At Antique Festival Near Atlanta, Is 17" By 5.5"
24. It's Made Of Really Heavy Hardwood. Unsure Of The Age Unfortunately. Given By Family Friend. Thanks
25. Blue Glass Thing Found At Goodwill. About 5 Inches High With A Hole In Top
26. A Fish Like Object Found In A River
27. Ok, I Know It’s A Chair, But What’s With The Extended Arms?
28. Found This In An Old Crumbled House, But I Have No Clue As To What It May Be! It's From A Company Called « Rally »... Help Me On This Mission!!!
29. Found In A Garden. Metallic Object That Closes In On Itself
30. For Context: It's In A Dentists Office
31. Antique From The 1800’s, Have To Figure Out What It Is For A School Project
32. Glass Bulb, Filled With Liquid, Metal Disk Floating Inside
33. My Grandpa Dug Up This Roman Cameo Looking Thing In His Garden In Northern Italy 12 Or So Years Ago, Any Idea What It Could Be? More Info In Comments
34. Found These Glass Goggles In The Wall Of Our 100 Year Old Home
35. Found In A Creek Bed In Oak Hill, Texas. Has A Small Hole On Top Of The Head That Goes All The Way Through
The world of antiques isn't just about collecting old objects; it's a journey into the past, a celebration of craftsmanship, and an exploration of history. The community at r/WhatIsThisThing embodies this fascination, bringing together people from all walks of life to investigate, learn, and appreciate the treasures of bygone eras.
From the curious beginner to the seasoned expert, everyone can find a place in this thriving online hub. As a place where mysteries are unraveled, and friendships are forged, the subreddit stands as a testament to the human desire to connect with the past and with each other.
It reminds us that even in a digital age, the allure of physical objects, and the stories they hold, continue to captivate and inspire.